The range of Costa Rica hotels reflects the diversity of this fascinating Central American country. From big city, commercial hotels to quiet mountain retreats, Costa Rica offers something for every taste. The best of these are listed below.
San Jose Hotels
San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica, sits in the central part of the country, in the heart of Costa Rica coffee country. Called by many “the most cosmopolitan city in Central America,” San Jose offers visitors excellent restaurants, affordable and varied shopping, and a wealth of history. It’s also the ideal starting point for a tour of Costa Rica’s natural wonders. Among the best hotels in the city are:
- Radisson Europa Hotel – A good luxury commercial hotel in the heart of San Jose. The Radisson has two restaurants, a gym, and offers a variety of business services. Some rooms offer wireless Internet service and private balconies.
- Real Intercontinental Hotel – Arguably the best hotel in town, the Intercontinental is located within walking distance of shopping, restaurants, and theaters. The hotel has two restaurants, two bars, a large free-form swimming pool, and a modest health club.The Caribbean CoastCosta Rica’s Caribbean coast is known for its casual, laid-back tempo, its lyric, Caribbean-style language and music, and its world-class fishing, mostly from inland rivers jutting off of the Caribbean Sea. The Costa Rica hotels here are largely lodge-style accommodations and rates, generally, include meals, taxes, transportation, and fishing. Sometimes liquor is included also. Two such hotels are:
- Rio Colorado Lodge – This rustic lodge is one of the country’s best-known hotels. Rooms are comfortable, but basic, and most do not have in-room televisions. A large covered deck overlooks the river and the lodge has its own riverboat for sightseeing tours and fishing.
- Tortuga Lodge – Another rustic fishing lodge, the Tortuga features a large, sweeping multilevel deck as well as a small picturesque pool and comfortable rooms with private verandahs. The food at Tortuga Lodge is some of country’s best.Mountain Lodges and HotelsThe central hill country is a must-see for anyone visiting Costa Rica. Here, north of San Jose, travelers can see the rainforest of the Braulio Carrillo National Park and the Barra del Colorado National Wildlife Refuge. The region is known for its hiking and bird watching and its two outstanding lodges that combine research with ecologically sound guest accommodations. They are:
- Rara Avis – This first ecolodge in Costa Rica has comfortable lodge rooms, its own two-tiered waterfall, and scenic wraparound porches. For those seeking privacy, the lodge offers separate two-bedroom cabins, located in the rain forest, about a five-minute hike from the lodge.
- Selva Verde Lodge – This rainforest lodge features lodge rooms as well as private bungalows, all nestled in the Costa Rica rainforest. Facilities include scenic hiking trails, a private swimming hole, and a small butterfly garden. The lodge is adjacent to the Braulio Carrillo National Park and guests can take advantage of the miles of hiking trails and the diverse wildlife viewing offered at there.
Related links: Travelers can find Costa Rica Resorts for all Budgets